In my soup adventures I made my own recipe for Minestrone! I did some research on Minestrone recipes and came up with my own. It turned out really good. Tons of flavor and a rich broth.
- ½ Carrot, diced
- ½ Parsnip, diced
- 3-4 small Potatoes, diced
- ½ small Onion, diced
- 1 Celery Stalk, diced
- ½ Zuchini, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- ½ cup Dry Sherry
- 3 -4 cups Chicken Broth
- ¼ tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ can Cannolini beans
- 1 (12 oz) can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups pasta
- In a medium soup pot heat 2 Tbsp oil (I used bacon fat) and sauté all the veggies until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat all the veggies and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the chicken stock, herbs, beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- When ready to eat, cook pasta to al dente for the soup.
- Serve the soup and pasta with freshly grated parmesan cheese!
I like to make the pasta separate from the soup so it’s not overcooked and so it doesn’t get super mushy in any leftovers since it’s not in the soup. You can use any kind of pasta. We’ve used ditallini, fusili, shells, macaroni… really anything that is some small shape. I added in veggies that my boyfriend and I will both like, but you can change them to whatever you like or have lying around! Some other veggie ideas I had to use were green beans, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, kidney beans, cabbage, bok choy, garbanzo beans…the list goes on and on! Make your own Original Recipe and let me know what you chose to put in it!