This week I decided to try to make Tres Leche Cake. This was my first time trying to make this and it actually turned out really well! I was super proud of myself 🙂 I used Marcela’s recipe and I would definitely recommend it and am interested in trying more of her recipes!
- 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 1 (14 oz) Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 (12 oz) Can Evaporated Milk
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 3 Tbsp Orange Liqueur
- 3 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- In a bowl combine the flour and the baking powder.
- Using a standing mixer with the whisk attachment whip the egg whites until they turn frothy.
- Gradually add the sugar while still whipping the egg whites and beat until they form stiff peaks. This step took me a while so don’t be too scared that it’s not working if it takes some time.
- Add the yolks 1 at a time to the egg whites.
- Add half the flour mixture and blend.
- Add the milk and blend.
- Add the last half of the flour mixture and blend. Be sure not to over whisk the mixture as it will make the cake tough.
- Pour the batter into a buttered and floured round cake pan.
- Cook in a preheated 350° oven for 30 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 1 cup of the heavy cream and orange liqueur.
- Place the cake on a platter that has higher sides to contain the milk mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture over the warm cake.
- Cover the cake and place in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to serve the cake whip the remaining cup of heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form (whipped cream!)
- Spread the whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle the cake with the cinnamon.
- Serve and enjoy!
I would recommend letting this cake set overnight as the orange liqueur is a little strong after only a couple of hours, but was much more mellow the next day. Now I know how to make a sponge cake!